You may recognize Botox cosmetic treatment as one of the most common wrinkle reducing procedures and aesthetic medicine. What you may not know about this injectable treatment is that it was originally developed by ophthalmologists. Initially, the purified protein solution that we now know as Botox was used in the treatment of eyelid spasms and muscular disorders which inhibited proper eye lid movement. The wrinkle reducing aspect of the solution with merely a side effect; albeit a pretty exciting one. The more these side effects were researched, the closer we came to an innovative solution to aging. Now, Botox is a household name in most countries around the globe.
Your ophthalmologist sees the clear benefits to treating the eyes with Botox:
- Botox has been a part of ophthalmology for more than 30 years.
- An ophthalmologist has been trained in the complex structures around the eyes, including facial skin and how it ages.
- This extensive knowledge makes your ophthalmologist one of the most highly trained healthcare professionals capable of performing Botox injections.
- Strategically administered Botox injections not only minimize the appearance of wrinkles; this treatment can result in a more youthful, friendlier, and more energetic appearance.
- The FDA has approved Botox for the treatment of concerns including crow’s feet and frown lines.
- This product is also commonly used to raise eyebrows that have become heavy with age. Many people are turning to Botox and fillers instead of plastic surgery for brow lifting.
- The Botox solution has been used for several decades around the world. Side effects are typically limited to mild redness, swelling, and bruising. Treatment is safe enough to be conducted in the same appointment as facial rejuvenation with injectable fillers. In combination, these products can reduce your apparent age as much as 10 years.
Botox from your Florida Ophthalmologist
In our Florida office, we can address your concerns related to various eye conditions, ranging from nearsightedness to cataracts. During your routine appointment, we can also help you reduce the appearance of age with simple treatments like Botox. Schedule your visit at 352-237-8400.